You’re invited to attend, as performer or audience
ODDMUSIC CONVERGENCE DECEMBER ’09
“metablues, microtones, contraptions, utopia”
on Monday, December 14, at 7:30 p.m.
in the main space of the Urbana-Champaign Independent Media Center.
$5-10, no one turned away for lack of funds.
a concert featuring responses to invitations:
- 0. ODDMUSIC – What is Oddmusic? Show us.
- 1. METABLUES – Write a “blues” song which points, instead of at old problems framed in th old language, new problems which demand a new language.
- 2. MICROTONES – Write a piece in an odd tuning (one which is non-redundant with conventional wisdom).
- 3. CONTRAPTIONS – Write a piece for an odd instrument (or a not-so-odd instrument played in an odd way).
- 4. UTOPIA – Write a piece which speaks of alternatives not yet possible in the current system. For example, a false statement bulletin.
Some performances are already in the works which play with these invitations. We invite you to add more! This Convergence will have something of an Open Mic element to it; if you have a piece, or can put together a piece, which attempts to respond to these invitations, please bring it and share it! Surprise us with your own metablues, microtones, contraptions, or utopias.
If you want assistance making a piece happen, get in touch!
Next Sunday, December 13, the day before the Convergence, we’re holding Office Hours as usual in th Oddmusic Oddstrumentarium (room 21A of the IMC). We’ll be working on pieces then, and welcome your participation in that. Bring a desire, and we’ll work on something together!
Music is ours to odd. Odd is ours to music.
Much love, Andrew.