CALLING ALL craftspeople, artists, makers, do-it-yourself-ers:
When and Where? 7PM Friday, November 19 to 7PM Saturday, November 20, 2010. Participants meet in the Family Room of the IMC at 7PM on Friday to start their projects. The event culminates in a public showing at 7PM the next day, so if you don’t have time for the whole shebang, you can come just for that.
This is an opportunity for YOU to self-organize that project you always wanted to do but never had the time. Give yourself the gift of 24 hours and discover the value of a constraint!
Some things you could do:
- Write, produce, and stage a play… in 24 hours
- Record an album … in 24 hours
- Build a fort out of balloons… in 24 hours
- Film a movie or write a novel… in 24 hours
- Design and create a costume or quilt… in 24 hours (the theater people may need it)
- Teach a foreign language… for 24 hours
- Build instruments out of bicycle parts or vegetables, and start a band… in 24 hours
- Design and build a network infrastructure… in 24 hours
- Make authentic chai…which takes 24 hours
- Produce your own radio or TV show, broadcasting live reports of the festival as it happens…
You get the picture. In other words, anything that you and/or a group of people want to try… in 24 hours!
Interested but don’t know how to start? We can help!
Ways to participate:
- Propose a project: fill out this form right now! Then meet up with everyone at the Family Room of the IMC at 7 p.m. on Friday to get it off the ground.
- Get involved in somebody else’s project: show up at the Family Room of the IMC at 7 p.m. on Friday. (Cost for participation is $12 per person = 50¢ per hour = cheap!)
- Come to the free showing at 7 p.m. on Saturday.
Fill out this form to tell us you’re interested!
Timing: The 24-hour period will begin at 7 p.m. on Friday, November 19, 2010 and end at 7 p.m. the following day. You don’t have to stay up all night—if you’re more of a morning person, consider doing a 12-hour mini-project starting at 7 a.m.—but that’s all the time you’ve got!
- 7 PM Check-in with everyone in the Family Room (basement)
- 1 AM Tea party + indoor water sports
- 7 AM Breakfast + massage zone – welcome the half-dayers
- 1 PM Lunch + IMC Pitch
- 7 PM Public Exhibition & Performances (free)
Participation: The event is organized into projects, each with one or more people. Projects can be open to public participation or not. Tell us what you need.
Event Cost: $12 per person. That’s 50¢ per hour. Public showing at 7PM on Saturday is free. Also: becoming a member of the IMC is strongly encouraged but not mandated.
Space: The idea is to maximize the use of the entire IMC space over a 24-hour period, so think about how much of what kind of space you will need for how long. Current tenants of the IMC are encouraged to participate and/or offer their space to projects!
Project Costs: Projects are responsible for covering their own expenses. A suggested fundraising tactic: get friends and family to pledge 25¢ for every hour you aren’t sleeping.
For the whole scoop, see the IMC wiki page.